MA program launched in 2008-2009 academic year. This program at Sabancı University is the first interdisciplinary graduate program in Turkey with English language instruction. There is an increasing demand in international arena for reaching and acquiring a deeper understanding of Turkey. The program primarily aims to meet this demand.
With a highly flexible curriculum, which capitalizes on the intellectual and scholarly resources available at one of Turkey's leading private universities, the Turkish Studies MA program offers its students a broad range of courses in History, Political Science, Economics, Conflict Resolution, European Studies, and Cultural Studies. In addition, the curriculum seeks to meet the needs of the next generation of scholars, policymakers, and practitioners by providing them with necessary skills to analyze, understand, evaluate, and make policies in key areas including foreign, environmental, energy, health, and welfare policies.
The Master 's Degree in Turkish Studies ( second cycle in Turkish Studies) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 3.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
- "Develop the ability to use critical, analytical, and reflective thinking and reasoning
- Reflect on social and ethical responsibilities in his/her professional life.
- Gain experience and confidence in the dissemination of project/research outputs
- Work responsibly and creatively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, graphical and technological means and have competency in English.
- Independently reach and acquire information, and develop appreciation of the need for continuously learning and updating.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in the field and apply them in research design and data analysis.
- Assess the impact of the economic, social, and political environment from a global, national and regional level.
- Know how to access written and visual, primary and secondary sources of information, interpret concepts and data from a variety of sources in developing disciplinary and interdisciplinary analyses.
- Have knowledge of a comprehensive and integrated picture of contemporary Turkey, including all its promise and problems.
- Have knowledge of an up-to-date grasp of the overall shape and basic outlines of the country?s history; the complexity of the multiple and often contradictory strands of its culture; the fundamental structures and emerging dynamics of its economy; and the basic setting, enduring legacies as well as shifting realignments of its politics.
- Have a sensitive appreciation of the possible paths and choices it faces early in the 21st century.
- Able to Respond to the international demand for knowledge about the history, culture, languages, politics and economy of Turkey.
- Able to Independently formulate critical research questions, and pursue them into a deepening knowledge of the subject."
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
- Academic Career
- Public sector (policy-making, bureaucratic, and diplomatic service),
- Private sector (international business, media, tourism, etc.) National and international NGOs
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study