BA program was first launched in 2000-2001 titled as "Social And Political Sciences". The name of the program was changed as "Political Science" in 2014.2015. Phd program was launched together with BA program in 2000-2001. MA program, also launched in 2000-2001 was run under a concentration area of "Conflict Analysis and Resolution" till 2003-2004 and accepted its first cohort as a separate "Political Science" MA program in 2004-2005. It aims to provide students with a scientific understanding of social phenomena that would enable them to uncover the roots of common perceptions and practices, challenge them when necessary, and come up with policy proposals when possible. Language of instruction is English.
The graduate program in Political Science at Sabancı University provides integrated training at MA and PhD levels.The program offers a comprehensive and up-to-date review of the major fields of Political Science and provides the students with a rigorous conceptual framework, basic analytical tools and sound methodological training in the discipline. The program covers the major fields of Political Science (Comparative Politics, International Relations, Political Theory) and offers a rich set of specialization possibilities. With a thematic concentration on Turkish Politics, Middle Eastern Politics, and European Politics, the program stands out among its competitors in Turkey by its courses and faculty members specializing in formal theory and the production and analysis of quantitative evidence. While some graduates of the MA program choose to pursue their careers in business, public administration or other professions, others enroll in PhD programs abroad or they move up to our integrated PhD program. The admission decisions concerning MA students are made by a committee consisting of the members of the graduate program in Political Science. The committee makes its decisions taking into account (a) the applicant's performance in the "PhD gateway exam", and (b) the applicant's general performance in the courses in the field.
The Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Political Sciences (third cycle in Political Sciences) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification:
Doctor of Philosophy
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 3.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
- "Develop and deepen the current and advanced knowledge in the field with original thought and/or research and come up with innovative definitions based on Master's degree qualifications
- Conceive the interdisciplinary interaction which the field is related with ; come up with original solutions by using knowledge requiring proficiency on analysis, synthesis and assessment of new and complex ideas.
- Evaluate and use new information within the field in a systematic approach.
- Develop an innovative knowledge, method, design and/or practice or adapt an already known knowledge, method, design and/or practice to another field; research, conceive, design, adapt and implement an original subject.
- Critical analysis, synthesis and evaluation of new and complex ideas.
- Gain advanced level skills in the use of research methods in the field of study.
- Contribute the progression in the field by producing an innovative idea, skill, design and/or practice or by adapting an already known idea, skill, design, and/or practice to a different field independently.
- Broaden the borders of the knowledge in the field by producing or interpreting an original work or publishing at least one scientific paper in the field in national and/or international refereed journals.
- Demonstrate leadership in contexts requiring innovative and interdisciplinary problem solving.
- Develop new ideas and methods in the field by using high level mental processes such as creative and critical thinking, problem solving and decision making.
- Investigate and improve social connections and their conducting norms and manage the actions to change them when necessary.
- Defend original views when exchanging ideas in the field with professionals and communicate effectively by showing competence in the field.
- Ability to communicate and discuss orally, in written and visually with peers by using a foreign language at least at a level of European Language Portfolio C1 General Level.
- Contribute to the transition of the community to an information society and its sustainability process by introducing scientific, technological, social or cultural improvements.
- Demonstrate functional interaction by using strategic decision making processes in solving problems encountered in the field.
- Contribute to the solution finding process regarding social, scientific, cultural and ethical problems in the field and support the development of these values."
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
- Public sector
- Academic Career
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study