Mechatronics is the design methodology of systems based on multidisciplinary engineering approaches. Most modern systems such as consumer products, manufacturing machines, or even exotic measurement devices must be designed to comply with several constraints at the same time, including complex behavior, mechanical and electronic precision, low cost, low power consumption, environmental friendliness, networked operation, smart interaction with users and work in uncertain environments. Their design requires engineers who are fluent in such disciplines as electronics, mechanics, computers, control, and other areas like optics and material science. Mechatronics program at Sabanci University aims to educate creative individuals who can apply ideas from all such disciplines to design today's complex systems. The approach is supported by a curriculum seamlessly integrating the diverse disciplines, while being hands-on and research oriented from the undergraduate education, utilizing our comprehensive research infrastruture used for the industrial projects and fundamental research conducted by the program members.
The objectives of Mechatronics program are; to develop students knowledge of mechanical, electronics and control engineering and computer science with relevant technologies needed to create modern products;to provide students with the personal skills and professional perspective to enable them in the application of learned knowledge; to prepare students to work in the design of complex products including industrial control system design, software and embedded controller for real-time systems.
The Bachelor's Degree in Mechatronics Engineering ( first cycle inMechatronics Engineering) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification:
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 2.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme (equivalent to a total of 240 ECTS).
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
Common Outcomes of Our Undergraduate Programs at SU:
- Understand the world, their country, their society, as well as themselves and have awareness of ethical problems, social rights, values and responsibility to the self and to others.
- Understand different disciplines from natural and social sciences to mathematics and art, and develop interdisciplinary approaches in thinking and practice.
- Think critically, follow innovations and developments in science and technology, demonstrate personal and organizational entrepreneurship and engage in life-long learning in various subjects.
- Communicate effectively in Turkish and English by oral, written, graphical and technological means.
- Take individual and team responsibility, function effectively and respectively as an individual and a member or a leader of a team; and have the skills to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
Common Outcomes of Our Undergraduate Programs at FENS:
- Possess sufficient knowledge of mathematics, science and program-specific engineering topics; use theoretical and applied knowledge of these areas in complex engineering problems.
- Identify, define, formulate and solve complex engineering problems; choose and apply suitable analysis and modeling methods for this purpose.
- Develop, choose and use modern techniques and tools that are needed for analysis and solution of complex problems faced in engineering applications; possess knowledge of standards used in engineering applications; use information technologies effectively.
- Ability to design a complex system, process, instrument or a product under realistic constraints and conditions, with the goal of fulfilling specified needs; apply modern design techniques for this purpose.
- Design and conduct experiments, collect data, analyze and interpret the results to investigate complex engineering problems or program-specific research areas.
- Knowledge of business practices such as project management, risk management and change management; awareness on innovation; knowledge of sustainable development.
- Knowledge of impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, health and societal context; knowledge of contemporary issues; awareness on legal outcomes of engineering solutions; understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
Mechatronics Engineering Undergraduate Program Specific Outcomes:
- Familiarity with concepts in statistics and optimization, knowledge in basic differential and integral calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex variables, multi-variable calculus, as well as physics and computer science, and ability to use this knowledge in modeling, design and analysis of complex dynamical systems containing hardware and software components.
- Ability to work in design, implementation and integration of engineering applications, such as electronic, mechanical, electromechanical, control and computer systems that contain software and hardware components, including sensors, actuators and controllers.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
- Research and development
- Energy systems
- Automation systems
- Automotive applications
- Robotics and articial intelligence
- Medical technologies
- Defense industry applications
- Industry 4.0, IoT
The holder of Mechatronics Engineering Master's Degree can work in the field of mechanical, electronic and control system design of computer contolled systems. He/she can be a technical team leader for the integration of the mechatronics disciplines.
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study