The Molecular Biology, Genetics and Bioengineering program (BIO) is geared to developing an integrated scientific perspective comprising the fundamentals of molecular biology, biochemistry,genetics and cell biology, all of which are built upon a solid background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry.Courses on the exploitation of biological systems for developing new technologies and industrial applications reflect the biotechnology dimension of the program. The bioengineering dimension is axed on an understanding of engineering concepts and techniques, which is facilitated by access to undergraduate courses of an interdisciplinary nature.Students learn to apply engineering principles to the re-conceptualization of of biological phenomena and are trained to acquire skills for developing new materials and processes, including genetic modification of agricultural plants. The BIO program is well equipped in every way to turn out properly trained graduates capable of filling both research and management positions in industrial and research institutions operating in arious areas of the biological sciences and biotechnology.
The graduate program follows an interdisciplinary approach to investigating regulation of gene expression and signal transduction pathways in eukaryotes under stress conditions. Researchers have expertise in molecular biology, genetics, protein chemistry, structural biology, as well as plant physiology and bioinformatics. This program also aims to provide a platform for collaborations with other research laboratories, biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
The Master 's Degree in Molecular Biology, Genetics and Bioengineering (second cycle in Molecular Biology, Genetics and Bioengineering) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification:
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 3.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
Common Outcomes of Masters Programs:
- Develop the ability to use critical, analytical, and reflective thinking and reasoning
- Reflect on social and ethical responsibilities in his/her professional life.
- Gain experience and confidence in the dissemination of project/research outputs
- Work responsibly and creatively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, graphical and technological means and have competency in English.
- Independently reach and acquire information, and develop appreciation of the need for continuously learning and updating.
Common Outcomes for Institute:
- Design and model engineering systems and processes and solve engineering problems with an innovative approach.
- Establish experimental setups, conduct experiments and/or simulations.
- Analytically acquire and interpret data.
Program Specific Outcomes:
- Display knowledge of contemporary issues in molecular biology, genetics and bioengineering and apply them to a particular problem.
- To develop knowledge and theory by using data and scientific methods in molecular biology, genetics and bioengineering.
- Display a good command of scientific literature in biology, genetics and bioengineering for developing novel projects, improving the quality of research and products
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
Researchers, scientists and academics in higher-education institutes, research institutes, technology companies and consulting firms in the area of molecular biology, biochemistry,genetics,cell biology,plant physiology and bioinformatics
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study