BA and MA programs launched in 2000-2001. The mission of the VAVCD program is to provide the student with an in-depth understanding of visuality and its applications to the domains of Visual Art and Visual Communication Design. However, our efforts go beyond a sole understanding / application of the visual fields themselves in that we also seek to bring about their integration with other creative output such as sound design, new media output and temporally based works implemented through the diversified building blocks of our curriculum. Facilities: Design studios, drawing studios, interaction lab, metal works studio, photography studio, sound design studio, motin capture studio, wood works studio Language of instruction is English.
The VACD M.A. program offers a rigorous study within a wide spectrum comprising visual arts, visual communication design and related theory. Students admitted come from diverse disciplines, backgrounds and formations. Close collaboration of the student with his/her project advisor is an essential aspect of the program and student advising is expected to lead to an early student/ advisor matching.
The Master 's Degree in Visual Arts and Visual Communications Design ( second cycle in Visual Arts and Visual Communications Design) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 3.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
- "Develop the ability to use critical, analytical, and reflective thinking and reasoning
- Reflect on social and ethical responsibilities in his/her professional life.
- Gain experience and confidence in the dissemination of project/research outputs
- Work responsibly and creatively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, graphical and technological means and have competency in English.
- Independently reach and acquire information, and develop appreciation of the need for continuously learning and updating.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in the field and apply them in research design and data analysis.
- Assess the impact of the economic, social, and political environment from a global, national and regional level.
- Know how to access written and visual, primary and secondary sources of information, interpret concepts and data from a variety of sources in developing disciplinary and interdisciplinary analyses.
- Show a practical and technical command of materials and methods in one or more media of the visual arts.
- Demonstrate knowledge of representational processes using visual as well as audial material as mediums of representation.
- Show working knowledge of the process of transforming abstract/textual concepts into concrete, audio/visual forms.
- Read visual texts with a deep knowledge of art history and theory and the ability of situating the content and form of the visual representation both in a historical and thematic context."
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
Artists, designers, curators, art directors, film directors, communication advisors, fashion designers, journalists, brand managers, editors, social media experts, multimedia designers, technology consultants
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study