BA program was first launched in 2000-2001 titled as "Social And Political Sciences". The name of the program was changed as "Political Science" in 2014.2015. Phd program was launched together with BA program in 2000-2001. MA program, also launched in 2000-2001 was run under a concentration area of "Conflict Analysis and Resolution" till 2003-2004 and accepted its first cohort as a separate "Political Science" MA program in 2004-2005. It aims to provide students with a scientific understanding of social phenomena that would enable them to uncover the roots of common perceptions and practices, challenge them when necessary, and come up with policy proposals when possible. Language of instruction is English.
The Programs aims the students to be equipped with a knowledge of political theory and history, as well as of political economy and methodological tools in social sciences. In addition to the required and core courses which will provide such basic information and analytical perspectives, the students can choose either to concentrate in one of the areas governance or political thought, or can design their coursework in such a way to combine these areas with courses from other social science disciplines in order to get a broad training.
The Bachelor's Degree in Political Science ( first cycle in Political Science) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 2.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme (equivalent to a total of 240 ECTS).
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
Program Specific Outcomes:
- Understand and follow changes in patterns of political behavior, ideas and structures.
- Develop the ability to make logical inferences about social and political issues on the basis of comparative and historical knowledge.
Common Outcomes of Undergraduate Programs:
- Take individual and team responsibility, function effectively and respectively as an individual and a member or a leader of a team; and have the skills to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Understand the world, their country, their society, as well as themselves and have awareness of ethical problems, social rights, values and responsibility to the self and to others.
- Understand different disciplines from natural and social sciences to mathematics and art, and develop interdisciplinary approaches in thinking and practice.
- Think critically, follow innovations and developments in science and technology, demonstrate personal and organizational entrepreneurship and engage in life-long learning in various subjects; have the ability to continue to educate him/herself.
- Communicate effectively in Turkish and English by oral, written, graphical and technological means.
Common Outcomes for Faculty:
- Develop knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in humanities and social sciences.
- Assess how global, national and regional developments affect society.
- Know how to access and evaluate data from various sources of information.
Occupational Profiles of Graduatesing
- Public sector
- Finance / Bank
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study