BA program was launched in 2014-2015 and MS program in 2020-2021 . Experimental Psychology Ph.D. Program was launched in 2021-2022. Language of instruction is English.
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program in Experimental Psychology at Sabanci University is designed to train students to conduct experimental research, particularly in cognitive psychology and cognitive neuroscience.
Each graduate student will conduct research with one or more faculty members. Students will gain hands-on experience in developing research questions and appropriate experiment designs, preparing experiments (e.g., by programming software in Matlab or Python), collecting and analyzing data, and handling the publication processes. As a result, graduate students will act more like researchers than students.
The hands-on research practices will be coupled with a course curriculum designed to provide advanced theoretical knowledge in research practices, programming, signal processing, perception, attention, working memory, episodic memory, cognitive control, language, imagery, emotions, driver behavior, and human-robot interaction. The classes will be combined with lab meetings, journal clubs, brown bag meetings and colloquia, allowing the students to stay up-to-date with the latest advances in research.
At the end of their studies, our graduates will be expected to be equipped with the skills and knowledge that will enable them to grow as successful, independent researches in cognitive psychology and neuroscience. This set of skills will allow graduates to pursue jobs in academia or applied research settings. PhD students must write and present a research paper in a faculty seminar with the participation of thesis committee, faculty members and students before their thesis defense in order to meet the graduation requirement besides fulfilling other program requirements.
The Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Experimental Psychology (third cycle in Experimental Psychology) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Doctor of Philosophy
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 3.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
Common Outcomes of PhD Programs:
- Develop and deepen the current and advanced knowledge in the field with original thought and/or research and come up with innovative definitions based on Master's degree qualifications
- Conceive the interdisciplinary interaction which the field is related with ; come up with original solutions by using knowledge requiring proficiency on analysis, synthesis and assessment of new and complex ideas.
- Evaluate and use new information within the field in a systematic approach.
- Develop an innovative knowledge, method, design and/or practice or adapt an already known knowledge, method, design and/or practice to another field; research, conceive, design, adapt and implement an original subject.
- Critical analysis, synthesis and evaluation of new and complex ideas.
- Gain advanced level skills in the use of research methods in the field of study.
- Contribute the progression in the field by producing an innovative idea, skill, design and/or practice or by adapting an already known idea, skill, design, and/or practice to a different field independently.
- Broaden the borders of the knowledge in the field by producing or interpreting an original work or publishing at least one scientific paper in the field in national and/or international refereed journals.
- Demonstrate leadership in contexts requiring innovative and interdisciplinary problem solving.
- Develop new ideas and methods in the field by using high level mental processes such as creative and critical thinking, problem solving and decision making.
- Investigate and improve social connections and their conducting norms and manage the actions to change them when necessary.
- Defend original views when exchanging ideas in the field with professionals and communicate effectively by showing competence in the field.
- Ability to communicate and discuss orally, in written and visually with peers by using a foreign language at least at a level of European Language Portfolio C1 General Level.
- Contribute to the transition of the community to an information society and its sustainability process by introducing scientific, technological, social or cultural improvements.
- Demonstrate functional interaction by using strategic decision making processes in solving problems encountered in the field.
- Contribute to the solution finding process regarding social, scientific, cultural and ethical problems in the field and support the development of these values.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
Ph.D. graduates mostly find jobs in universities as faculty members and researchers. There is indeed an urgent need for good academics and researchers because of the rapid growth of psychological science and its applications in Turkey and some other countries. So, for sure, they will find a job quickly in excellent institutions. Besides academia and research institutes, they can also work in public services, consulting and marketing agencies, intervention, prevention, education, and application programs. Another option is working in the interdisciplinary arena together with other scientists such as neurologists, cognitive, computer, data scientists, and programmers depending on their research and expertise.
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study