Sabancı University Materials Science and Engineering (MAT) graduate program started its activities in 2000-2001 Fall Semester. The name of the MAT graduate / doctorate program has been changed to Materials Science and Nano-Engineering Program (MAT) as of 2016-2017 academic year. The program is an interdisciplinary field that is closely related to a variety of disciplines such as physics, chemistry, biology, as well as mechanical, construction, aviation and chemical engineering. The language of the program is English. This program distinguishes itself from other similar programs in Turkey as it teaches the experimental, theoretical and computational material science approaches in various fields such as polymers, ceramics, composites, energy cycle and storage materials, carbon materials, cement, rather than traditional just metallurgical courses. Within the framework of the nano-engineering concept, the concentration in education and research activities for nanomaterials and their applications also brings difference. Graduate level research activities are greatly emphasized and supported. Laboratory-related courses and education and research programs, whereby students can gain important practical experience especially in material characterization, stand out. Material characterization laboratories (such as imaging, mechanical, thermal, electronic and magnetic resonance) and related equipment are available to all graduate students after the necessary training is provided within the courses and research projects.
It provides a comprehensive research and education medium that equips its graduates with the theoretical and practical skills necessary for the understanding, design, and development of advanced technology materials emphasizing synthetic and biological polymers, ceramics, and composites. Its focus is on nanotechnologies and biotechnologies. With its extensive academic and industrial collaborations, it is oriented towards individuals seeking an academic or a professional career.
The Master 's Degree in Materials Science and Nano Engineering ( second cycle in Materials Science and Nano Engineering) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification:
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 3.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
Common Outcomes of Masters Programs:
- Develop the ability to use critical, analytical, and reflective thinking and reasoning
- Reflect on social and ethical responsibilities in his/her professional life.
- Gain experience and confidence in the dissemination of project/research outputs
- Work responsibly and creatively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, graphical and technological means and have competency in English.
- Independently reach and acquire information, and develop appreciation of the need for continuously learning and updating.
Common Outcomes for Institute:
- Design and model engineering systems and processes and solve engineering problems with an innovative approach.
- Establish experimental setups, conduct experiments and/or simulations.
- Analytically acquire and interpret data.
Program Specific Outcomes:
- Apply a broad knowledge of structure & microstructure of all classes of materials, and the ability to use this knowledge to determine the material properties.
- Apply a broad understanding of the relationships between material properties, performance and processing.
- Apply a broad understanding of thermodynamics, kinetics, transport phenomena, phase transformations and materials aspects of advanced technology.
- Demonstrate hands-on experience using a wide range of materials characterization techniques.
- Demonstrate the use of results from interpreted data to improve the quality of research, a product, or a product in materials science and engineering.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
- Product design
- Material manufacturing and research
- Systems management
- Materials consultancy
- Research and development
- Fundamental material manufacturing
- Energy industry
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study