The current interests concentrate in mainly two areas; Analysis and its applications, differential equations (functional analysis, several complex variables, complex potential theory, holomorphic Dynamics, complex Geometry, probability and stochastics, martingales, operator theory, pseudo-differential operators, nonlinear partial differential equations) and Algebra and number theory and their applications (finite fields and applications, coding theory, cryptology, integer partitions, combinatorics, commutative and computational algebra, finite geometry). We do not require lab or technical equipments. The language of education is English.
To ensure an efficient research environment in physics, new researchers need to undergo a systematic education specific to that discipline and also contribute to the research simultaneously. This constitutes a doctoral program. Doctoral students who choose to be a researcher make a significant contribution to a research group by being a workforce and offer dynamism and motivation, and therefore research efficiency benefitted from this positively. The program is designed to contribute to the development of research on physics and also to raise qualified researchers and faculty members. In our opinion, it is important to form quality programs that compete with doctorate programs abroad in all universities in Turkey via competent and productive researchers, and to contribute to training researchers and faculty members in the country, and to use the resources of our university and our country wisely, and to improve our scientific research capacity both now and in the future. We are a center of excellence in the following branches of physics:
i) Condensed Matter Physics: Experimental and theoretical condensed matter physics is the basic discipline of matter behavior in mesoscopic and nano scale.
ii) Astrophysics: Astrophysics, which deals with the most interesting questions about matter and the Universe, also plays a key role in Space exploration, which is one of the key driving factors in the development of technology. Astrophysics research can be put to use for space technologies which will be launched in Turkey in the coming decades.
The Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Physics (third cycle in Physics) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Doctor of Physics
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 3.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
- Develop and deepen the current and advanced knowledge in the field with original thought and/or research and come up with innovative definitions based on Master's degree qualifications
- Conceive the interdisciplinary interaction which the field is related with ; come up with original solutions by using knowledge requiring proficiency on analysis, synthesis and assessment of new and complex ideas.
- Evaluate and use new information within the field in a systematic approach.
- Develop an innovative knowledge, method, design and/or practice or adapt an already known knowledge, method, design and/or practice to another field; research, conceive, design, adapt and implement an original subject.
- Critical analysis, synthesis and evaluation of new and complex ideas.
- Gain advanced level skills in the use of research methods in the field of study.
- Contribute the progression in the field by producing an innovative idea, skill, design and/or practice or by adapting an already known idea, skill, design, and/or practice to a different field independently.
- Broaden the borders of the knowledge in the field by producing or interpreting an original work or publishing at least one scientific paper in the field in national and/or international refereed journals.
- Demonstrate leadership in contexts requiring innovative and interdisciplinary problem solving.
- Develop new ideas and methods in the field by using high level mental processes such as creative and critical thinking, problem solving and decision making.
- Investigate and improve social connections and their conducting norms and manage the actions to change them when necessary.
- Defend original views when exchanging ideas in the field with professionals and communicate effectively by showing competence in the field.
- Ability to communicate and discuss orally, in written and visually with peers by using a foreign language at least at a level of European Language Portfolio C1 General Level.
- Contribute to the transition of the community to an information society and its sustainability process by introducing scientific, technological, social or cultural improvements.
- Demonstrate functional interaction by using strategic decision making processes in solving problems encountered in the field.
- Contribute to the solution finding process regarding social, scientific, cultural and ethical problems in the field and support the development of these values.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
Researchers, scientists and academics in higher-education institutes, research institutes, technology companies and consulting firms.
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study