BA program was launched in 2014-2015 and MS program in 2020-2021 . Social Psychology Ph.D. Program was launched in 2021-2022. Language of instruction is English.
Ph.D. Program in Social Psychology at Sabancı University offers a research-oriented training by using advanced research methods in the scientific study of human behavior among individuals and groups. Our program has a number of laboratories equipped with cutting-edge technical tools to conduct social psychological research at individual, dyad and group levels. Doctoral students will gain a solid knowledge of research methods and advanced statistics and will be actively involved in diverse research projects as early as their first semester. Students will also be able to benefit from other laboratories in the university and have the opportunity to participate in interdisciplinary studies by collaborating with the researchers from other graduate programs.
With a strong research agenda, we help students build and sustain an initial momentum in making scientific publications as well as integrating with the international research community by actively attending international conferences and developing research collaborations. Our research in the program particularly focuses on relationships between individuals and groups and represents the rich spectrum of social psychology from social development to group processes. Our social psychology faculty members conduct research on parent-child relationships and language development in early life, formation, maintenance, and termination of adult social and intimate relationships, family dynamics, attachment, the interplay between memories and social relationships, self-regulation, culture, intergroup contact, prejudice and discrimination and well-being. Starting from the first year students will take active part in the currently running studies. In sum, the main goal of our research and practice- based doctoral education is to fully prepare our graduates as competent and productive academics and researchers, and practitioners in the related arenas at the international level. PhD students must write and present a research paper in a faculty seminar with the participation of thesis committee, faculty members and students before their thesis defense in order to meet the graduation requirement besides fulfilling other program requirements.
The Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Social Psychology (third cycle in Social Psychology) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Doctor of Philosophy
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 3.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
Common Outcomes of PhD Programs:
- Develop and deepen the current and advanced knowledge in the field with original thought and/or research and come up with innovative definitions based on Master's degree qualifications
- Conceive the interdisciplinary interaction which the field is related with ; come up with original solutions by using knowledge requiring proficiency on analysis, synthesis and assessment of new and complex ideas.
- Evaluate and use new information within the field in a systematic approach.
- Develop an innovative knowledge, method, design and/or practice or adapt an already known knowledge, method, design and/or practice to another field; research, conceive, design, adapt and implement an original subject.
- Critical analysis, synthesis and evaluation of new and complex ideas.
- Gain advanced level skills in the use of research methods in the field of study.
- Contribute the progression in the field by producing an innovative idea, skill, design and/or practice or by adapting an already known idea, skill, design, and/or practice to a different field independently.
- Broaden the borders of the knowledge in the field by producing or interpreting an original work or publishing at least one scientific paper in the field in national and/or international refereed journals.
- Demonstrate leadership in contexts requiring innovative and interdisciplinary problem solving.
- Develop new ideas and methods in the field by using high level mental processes such as creative and critical thinking, problem solving and decision making.
- Investigate and improve social connections and their conducting norms and manage the actions to change them when necessary.
- Defend original views when exchanging ideas in the field with professionals and communicate effectively by showing competence in the field.
- Ability to communicate and discuss orally, in written and visually with peers by using a foreign language at least at a level of European Language Portfolio C1 General Level.
- Contribute to the transition of the community to an information society and its sustainability process by introducing scientific, technological, social or cultural improvements.
- Demonstrate functional interaction by using strategic decision making processes in solving problems encountered in the field.
- Contribute to the solution finding process regarding social, scientific, cultural and ethical problems in the field and support the development of these values.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
Ph.D. graduates mostly find jobs in universities as faculty members and researchers. There is indeed an urgent need for good academics and researchers because of the rapid growth of psychological science and its applications in Turkey and some other countries. So, for sure, they will find a job quickly in excellent institutions. Besides academia and research institutes, they can also work in public services, consulting and marketing agencies, intervention, prevention, education, and application programs. Another option is working in the interdisciplinary arena together with other scientists such as neurologists, cognitive, computer, data scientists, and programmers depending on their research and expertise.
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study