Materials Science and Nanoengineering is an interdisciplinary field that is closely related to diverse disciplines such as physics, chemistry, biology, or chemical and mechanical engineering and mechanics. Materials Science and Nanoengineering (MAT) aims at furnishing its students with the theoretical and practical skills necessary for the understanding, design, and application of advanced technology materials. Industrial production based on polymers in particular can be low-cost, and not consume a large amount of space or energy --making this an attractive field for small-scale venture capital undertakings. More generally, and as a result of the interdisciplinary nature and flexibility of the MAT program, its graduates are likely to enjoy job opportunities ranging from basic and applied research in the physical,chemical, or biological sciences to industries concentrating on advanced technological materials.
It is an interdisciplinary field, closely related to the diverse disciplines of physics, chemistry, biology, chemical and mechanical engineering, and mechanics. It aims at furnishing students with the theoretical and practical skills necessary for the understanding, design, and application of advanced technology materials with emphasis on polymers, ceramics, and their composites. It provides hands-on experience in the characterization, processing, testing, modeling and simulation of these materials.
The Bachelor's Degree in Science in Materials Science and Nano Engineering ( first cycle in Science in Materials Science and Nano Engineering) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification:
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 2.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme (equivalent to a total of 240 ECTS).
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
Common Outcomes of Our Undergraduate Programs at SU:
- Understand the world, their country, their society, as well as themselves and have awareness of ethical problems, social rights, values and responsibility to the self and to others.
- Understand different disciplines from natural and social sciences to mathematics and art, and develop interdisciplinary approaches in thinking and practice.
- Think critically, follow innovations and developments in science and technology, demonstrate personal and organizational entrepreneurship and engage in life-long learning in various subjects; have the ability to continue to educate him/herself.
- Communicate effectively in Turkish and English by oral, written, graphical and technological means.
- Take individual and team responsibility, function effectively and respectively as an individual and a member or a leader of a team; and have the skills to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
Common Outcomes of Our Undergraduate Programs at FENS:
- Possess sufficient knowledge of mathematics, science and program-specific engineering topics; use theoretical and applied knowledge of these areas in complex engineering problems.
- Identify, define, formulate and solve complex engineering problems; choose and apply suitable analysis and modeling methods for this purpose.
- Develop, choose and use modern techniques and tools that are needed for analysis and solution of complex problems faced in engineering applications; possess knowledge of standards used in engineering applications; use information technologies effectively.
- Have the ability to design a complex system, process, instrument or a product under realistic constraints and conditions, with the goal of fulfilling specified needs; apply modern design techniques for this purpose.
- Design and conduct experiments, collect data, analyze and interpret the results to investigate complex engineering problems or program-specific research areas.
- Possess knowledge of business practices such as project management, risk management and change management; awareness on innovation; knowledge of sustainable development.
- Possess knowledge of impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, health and societal context; knowledge of contemporary issues; awareness on legal outcomes of engineering solutions; knowledge of behavior according to ethical principles, understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Have the ability to write effective reports and comprehend written reports, prepare design and production reports, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear and intelligible instructions.
Material Science and Nanoengineering Undergraduate Program Specific Outcomes:
- Applying fundamental and advanced knowledge of natural sciences as well as engineering principles to develop and design new materials and establish the relation between internal structure and physical properties using experimental, computational and theoretical tools.
- Merging the existing knowledge on physical properties, design limits and fabrication methods in materials selection for a particular application or to resolve material performance related problems.
- Predicting and understanding the behavior of a material under use in a specific environment knowing the internal structure or vice versa.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
- Product design
- Material manufacturing and research
- Systems management
- Materials consultancy
- Research and development
- Energy, Automotive, Aerospace, Mechanical, Construction sectors
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study