The Molecular Biology, Genetics and Bioengineering program (BIO) is geared to developing an integrated scientific perspective comprising the fundamentals of molecular biology, biochemistry,genetics and cell biology, all of which are built upon a solid background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry.Courses on the exploitation of biological systems for developing new technologies and industrial applications reflect the biotechnology dimension of the program. The bioengineering dimension is axed on an understanding of engineering concepts and techniques, which is facilitated by access to undergraduate courses of an interdisciplinary nature.Students learn to apply engineering principles to the re-conceptualization of of biological phenomena and are trained to acquire skills for developing new materials and processes, including genetic modification of agricultural plants. The BIO program is well equipped in every way to turn out properly trained graduates capable of filling both research and management positions in industrial and research institutions operating in arious areas of the biological sciences and biotechnology.
Main objective of the program is to develop through understanding of diversity and complexity of biological systems based on a careful balance of fundamental and application oriented courses. The program reflects an interdisciplinary approach and focuses on broad ranges of modern biological research including areas such as molecular biology, plant physiology, computational biology, genome sciences and biotechnology.
The Bachelor's Degree in Molecular Biology, Genetics and Bioengineering ( first cycle in Molecular Biology, Genetics and Bioengineering) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 2.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme (equivalent to a total of 240 ECTS).
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
Common Outcomes of Our Undergraduate Programs at SU:
- Understand the world, their country, their society, as well as themselves and have awareness of ethical problems, social rights, values and responsibility to the self and to others.
- Understand different disciplines from natural and social sciences to mathematics and art, and develop interdisciplinary approaches in thinking and practice.
- Think critically, follow innovations and developments in science and technology, demonstrate personal and organizational entrepreneurship and engage in life-long learning in various subjects; have the ability to continue to educate him/herself.
- Communicate effectively in Turkish and English by oral, written, graphical and technological means.
- Take individual and team responsibility, function effectively and respectively as an individual and a member or a leader of a team; and have the skills to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
Common Outcomes of Our Undergraduate Programs at FENS:
- Possess sufficient knowledge of mathematics, science and program-specific engineering topics; use theoretical and applied knowledge of these areas in complex engineering problems.
- Identify, define, formulate and solve complex engineering problems; choose and apply suitable analysis and modeling methods for this purpose.
- Develop, choose and use modern techniques and tools that are needed for analysis and solution of complex problems faced in engineering applications; possess knowledge of standards used in engineering applications; use information technologies effectively.
- Have the ability to design a complex system, process, instrument or a product under realistic constraints and conditions, with the goal of fulfilling specified needs; apply modern design techniques for this purpose.
- Design and conduct experiments, collect data, analyze and interpret the results to investigate complex engineering problems or program-specific research areas.
- Possess knowledge of business practices such as project management, risk management and change management; awareness on innovation; knowledge of sustainable development..
- Possess knowledge of impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, health and societal context; knowledge of contemporary issues; awareness on legal outcomes of engineering solutions; knowledge of behavior according to ethical principles, understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Have the ability to write effective reports and comprehend written reports, prepare design and production reports, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear and intelligible instructions.
Molecular Biology, Genetics And Bioengineering Undergraduate Program Specific Outcomes:
- Comprehend key concepts in biology and physiology, with emphasis on molecular genetics, biochemistry and molecular and cell biology as well as advanced mathematics and statistics.
- Develop conceptual background for interfacing of biology with engineering for a professional awareness of contemporary biological research questions and the experimental and theoretical methods used to address them.
Occupational Profiles of Graduate
- Academia (teaching/research)
- Sales, marketing, product management in pharmaceutical, medical and biotechnology companies
- Specialist in public and private hospital laboratories, genetic diagnosis and invitro fertilization centers
- Research and development specialist or research in private companies or public institutions
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study