BA program was first launched in 2000-2001 titled as "Social And Political Sciences". The name of the program was changed as "Political Science" in 2014.2015. By 2020-2021 academic year, Political Science and International Relations BA programs has been merged into one program called "Political Science and International Relations". Phd program was launched together with BA program in 2000-2001. MA program, also launched in 2000-2001 was run under a concentration area of "Conflict Analysis and Resolution" till 2003-2004 and accepted its first cohort as a separate "Political Science" MA program in 2004-2005. It aims to provide students with a scientific understanding of social phenomena that would enable them to uncover the roots of common perceptions and practices, challenge them when necessary, and come up with policy proposals when possible. Language of instruction is English.
The program aims to provide students with the knowledge and skills through which they can deeply grasp political, cultural and economic developments at national and global level and acquire the qualifications sought in the national and global environment and labor markets. It also aims to provide students with a scientific understanding of social facts and phenomena, that would enable them to uncover the roots of common perceptions and practices, to question them when necessary, and to come up with policy proposals when possible. Such a goal necessitates the students to be equipped with a knowledge of political theory, history as well as of political economy and scientific methods in social sciences.
The Bachelor's Degree in Political Science and International Relations ( first cycle in Political Science and International Relations) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 2.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme (equivalent to a total of 240 ECTS).
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
Common Outcomes of Undergraduate Programs:
- Understand the world, their country, their society, as well as themselves and have awareness of ethical problems, social rights, values and responsibility to the self and to others.
- Understand different disciplines from natural and social sciences to mathematics and art, and develop interdisciplinary approaches in thinking and practice.
- Think critically, follow innovations and developments in science and technology, demonstrate personal and organizational entrepreneurship and engage in life-long learning in various subjects; have the ability to continue to educate him/herself.
- Communicate effectively in Turkish and English by oral, written, graphical and technological means.
- Take individual and team responsibility, function effectively and respectively as an individual and a member or a leader of a team; and have the skills to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
Common Outcomes for Faculty:
- Develop knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in humanities and social sciences.
- Assess how global, national and regional developments affect society.
- Know how to access and evaluate data from various sources of information.
Program Specific Outcomes:
- To analyze national and global events from various social science perspectives.
- To demonstrate theoretical and practical knowledge on political science and international relations and to state views and positions with advanced oral and written skills.
- To compete for increasing career opportunities in national and global institutions.
- To (be able to) understand and follow the changes in political behaviours, opinions and structures.
- To gain the ability to make logical inferences on social and political issues based on comparative and historical knowledge.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other public institutions
- International institutions & multinational companies
- International NGOs
- Social research institutions
- Academic Career (MA & PhD Applications)
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study