BA program was first launched in 2000-2001 titled as "Social And Political Sciences". The name of the program was changed as "Political Science" in 2014.2015. Phd program was launched together with BA program in 2000-2001. MA program, also launched in 2000-2001 was run under a concentration area of "Conflict Analysis and Resolution" till 2003-2004 and accepted its first cohort as a separate "Political Science" MA program in 2004-2005. It aims to provide students with a scientific understanding of social phenomena that would enable them to uncover the roots of common perceptions and practices, challenge them when necessary, and come up with policy proposals when possible. Language of instruction is English.
The graduate program in Political Science at Sabancı University provides integrated training at MA and PhD levels.The program offers a comprehensive and up-to-date review of the major fields of Political Science and provides the students with a rigorous conceptual framework, basic analytical tools and sound methodological training in the discipline. The program covers the major fields of Political Science (Comparative Politics, International Relations, Political Theory) and offers a rich set of specialization possibilities. With a thematic concentration on Turkish Politics, Middle Eastern Politics, and European Politics, the program stands out among its competitors in Turkey by its courses and faculty members specializing in formal theory and the production and analysis of quantitative evidence. While some graduates of the MA program choose to pursue their careers in business, public administration or other professions, others enroll in PhD programs abroad or they move up to our integrated PhD program. The admission decisions concerning MA students are made by a committee consisting of the members of the graduate program in Political Science. The committee makes its decisions taking into account (a) the applicant's performance in the "PhD gateway exam", and (b) the applicant's general performance in the courses in the field.
The Master 's Degree in Political Science ( second cycle in Political Science) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 3.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
Common Outcomes of Masters Programs:
- Develop the ability to use critical, analytical, and reflective thinking and reasoning
- Reflect on social and ethical responsibilities in his/her professional life.
- Gain experience and confidence in the dissemination of project/research outputs
- Work responsibly and creatively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, graphical and technological means and have competency in English.
- Independently reach and acquire information, and develop appreciation of the need for continuously learning and updating.
Common Outcomes for Institute:
- Develop a thorough knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in the field and apply them in research design and data analysis.
- Assess the impact of the economic, social, and political environment from a global, national and regional level.
- Know how to access written and visual, primary and secondary sources of information, interpret concepts and data from a variety of sources in developing disciplinary and interdisciplinary analyses.
Program Specific Outcomes:
- Begin to grasp historical evolution and contemporary character of world politics.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
- Public sector
- Academic Career
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study