BA in Cultural Studies was launched in 2000-2001, MA degree in Cultural Studies launched in 2006-2007 and Phd degree in Gender Studies in 2017-2018. From its inception, the Cultural Studies Program at Sabancı University has been at once an intellectual endeavor and a medium of public involvement and engagement. Language of instruction is English
The Cultural Studies Program is committed to addressing the critical relations between culture, power, and history through multi-disciplinary engagement, innovative research, methodological openness, and critical pedagogical practice. It brings together an interdisciplinary group of scholars with a commitment to fostering new ways of analyzing and participating in contemporary cultural dynamics in Turkey and the world at large. The program covers a wide range of topics and theories, but is particularly strong in gender and sexuality, nationalism and transnationalism, globalization, violence and trauma, memory, law, popular culture, and new media technologies. Since the program's inception, Cultural Studies at Sabanci University has been at once an intellectual endeavor and a medium of public involvement and engagement, occasioning various opportunities for faculty and students to participate in social and political debates both on- and off-campus. The program's unique focus on critical pedagogical practice affords students the opportunity to carry out original research/writing projects.
The Bachelor's Degree in Cultural Studies ( first cycle in Cultural Studies) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification:
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 2.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme (equivalent to a total of 240 ECTS).
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
- Understand the world, their country, their society, as well as themselves and have awareness of ethical problems, social rights, values and responsibility to the self and to others.
- Understand different disciplines from natural and social sciences to mathematics and art, and develop interdisciplinary approaches in thinking and practice.
- Think critically, follow innovations and developments in science and technology, demonstrate personal and organizational entrepreneurship and engage in life-long learning in various subjects.
- Communicate effectively in Turkish and English by oral, written, graphical and technological means.
- Take individual and team responsibility, function effectively and respectively as an individual and a member or a leader of a team; and have the skills to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Develop knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in humanities and social sciences.
- Assess how global, national and regional developments affect society.
- Know how to access and evaluate data from various sources of information.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the multiple methodologies and interpret different approaches, concepts, and theoretical legacies in the interdisciplinary field of Cultural Studies.
- Identify interconnections of knowledge within and across the disciplines of sociology, anthropology, literature, visual studies, philosophy, and psychology.
- Cultivate a critical approach to the study of culture, articulating the relations between culture, power, and history; exploring cultural diversity and socio-cultural change at the local, national and global level; and exploring the corresponding demands for rights and social justice.
- With the use of appropriate technologies, be able to present advanced oral and written evaluations of developments in the realm of cultural production, consumption, and representation.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
The cultural sector: museums, cultural centers, publishing, tourism and media industries
The private sector: especially advertising, public relations, marketing
The public sector: government funded projects; local government initiatives, as well as E.U. and other international projects
Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) community work and action research, particularly in the areas of cultural policy, social policy, education, human rights, women’s rights, refugees and asylum seekers
MA and PhD track: Graduates interested in research or academic careers will be competitive candidates for
MA and PhD programs in the social sciences and humanities, specially in the fields of Anthropology, Comparative Literature, Sociology and Communication Studies.
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study