Sabancı University Master's Program with Thesis started to operate in the Fall 2015. Before that, there were only non-thesis master's and doctorate programs in our group. Not only do Physics graduates want to contribute to the academy, they also want to get more involved in the business life as they first want to test the academic environment, then obviously a majority of them want to spend their lives outside of Turkey after they have graduated from the Master's programs. The PhD program, for which we received only a small number of applications, was not sufficient for the group's increasing projects. Since it will be beneficial for both students and the group, the master's program with thesis has been opened. In our program, students take the basic physics courses and pen their theses with a faculty member. The language of the program is English. Turkish and foreign students are admitted to our program on equal terms. In parallel with the faculty profile, students generally write their theses on astrophysics, experimental solid state physics or theoretical solid state physics. In our faculty, they can research under the leadership of physicists in the "High Energy Astrophysics Sensor Laboratory" and the Quantum Transport and Nanoelectromagnetic Laboratory within the Sabancı University Nanotechnology Application Center, and they can use all the facilities in the faculty if they want to conduct interdisciplinary studies.
The program is designed to contribute to the development of research on physics and also to raise qualified researchers and faculty members. In our opinion, it is important to form quality programs that compete with master's degree programs abroad in all universities in Turkey via competent and productive researchers, and to contribute to training researchers and faculty members in the country, and to use the resources of our university and our country wisely, and to improve our scientific research capacity both now and in the future. We are a center of excellence in the following branches of physics:
i) Condensed Matter Physics: Experimental and theoretical condensed matter physics is the basic discipline of matter behavior in mesoscopic and nano scale.
ii) Astrophysics: Astrophysics, which deals with the most interesting questions about matter and the Universe, also plays a key role in Space exploration, which is one of the key driving factors in the development of technology. Astrophysics research can be put to use for space technologies which will be launched in Turkey in the coming decades. Physics students who have completed the master's program can proceed with the doctorate for an academic career, or they can work in pertinent companies in the industry compatible with their studies.
The Master 's Degree in Physics ( second cycle in Physics ) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 3.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
Common Outcomes of Masters Programs:
- Develop the ability to use critical, analytical, and reflective thinking and reasoning
- Reflect on social and ethical responsibilities in his/her professional life.
- Gain experience and confidence in the dissemination of project/research outputs
- Work responsibly and creatively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, graphical and technological means and have competency in English.
- Independently reach and acquire information, and develop appreciation of the need for continuously learning and updating.
Common Outcomes for Institute:
- Design and model engineering systems and processes and solve engineering problems with an innovative approach.
- Establish experimental setups, conduct experiments and/or simulations.
- Analytically acquire and interpret data.
Program Specific Outcomes:
- Display knowledge of contemporary issues in physics and apply them to specific problems in the field of study.
- Interpret and criticize newly developed theoretical models and experimental results in a particular field in physics
- Display a good command of scientific literature in physics for developing novel projects, improving the quality of research and products
- Apply knowledge of mathematics to analyze experimental results and to solve problems in physics
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
- R&D Centers and Labs
- R&D units of companies
- Energy Industry
- Manufactoring Industry
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study