BA and MA programs launched in 2000-2001. The mission of the VAVCD program is to provide the student with an in-depth understanding of visuality and its applications to the domains of Visual Art and Visual Communication Design. However, our efforts go beyond a sole understanding / application of the visual fields themselves in that we also seek to bring about their integration with other creative output such as sound design, new media output and temporally based works implemented through the diversified building blocks of our curriculum. Facilities: Design studios, drawing studios, interaction lab, metal works studio, photography studio, sound design studio, motin capture studio, wood works studio Language of instruction is English.
We live in a world where the role of the artist/designer is being redefined. Todays artists and designers need to be equipped with knowledge and vision which go far beyond the traditionally required skills of draughtsmanship. The individual's need to be conversant with social, scientific and technological evolution that surrounds him or her, and the ability to incorporate this evolution into the creative process, brings the issue of a visual education that has a wider based spectrum than before. The interdisciplinary educational approach embraced by Sabancı University aims to provide an ideal breeding ground for the education of the "new" artist and designer. The program offers two adjacent tracks, namely Visual Arts and Visual Communication Design. These tracks are differentiated by providing separate contents in Visual Arts Studio Courses and Visual Communication Design Studio Courses.
The Bachelor's Degree in Visual Arts and Visual Communications Design ( first cycle in Visual Arts and Visual Communications Design) is awarded to the graduates who have successfully completed all courses in the curriculum.
Level of Qualification
Specific Admission Requirements
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
Students must obtain a grade point average of at least 2.00 out of 4.00 and successfully pass all courses on the programme (equivalent to a total of 240 ECTS).
Recognition of Prior Learning
Exemptness from the courses which are included in transfer and student exchange programs are regulated by the related articles in Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate. At Sabancı University, apart from formal education institutions, there is no recognition process for informal-based or experience-based (in-formal and non-formal) learning.
- Understand the world, their country, their society, as well as themselves and have awareness of ethical problems, social rights, values and responsibility to the self and to others.
- Understand different disciplines from natural and social sciences to mathematics and art, and develop interdisciplinary approaches in thinking and practice.
- Think critically, follow innovations and developments in science and technology, demonstrate personal and organizational entrepreneurship and engage in life-long learning in various subjects; have the ability to continue to educate him/herself.
- Communicate effectively in Turkish and English by oral, written, graphical and technological means.
- Take individual and team responsibility, function effectively and respectively as an individual and a member or a leader of a team; and have the skills to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrate safe working habits and a general understanding of materials and processes in the visual arts.
- Demonstrate knowledge of representational processes using visual as well as audial material as mediums of representation.
- Show working knowledge of the process of transforming abstract/textual concepts into concrete, audio/visual forms.
- Appreciate and express the cultural significance of art and understand its evolution and purposes.
- Develop an awareness of compositional and organizational strategies for the effective deployment of formal elements of visual art.
- Read visual texts with a deep knowledge of art history and theory and the ability of situating the content and form of the visual representation both in a historical and thematic context.
- Employ necessary background knowledge regarding art administration in the body of museums and galleries.
- Show a practical and technical command of materials and methods in one or more media of the visual arts.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
Artists, designers, curators, art directors, film directors, communication advisors, fashion designers, journalists, brand managers, editors, social media experts, multimedia designers, technology consultants
Access to Further Studies
The general requirements explained in “Quotas and Admissions” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Graduate Programs for acceptance of the students to be taken to the graduate programs.
Exam Regulations and Assessment & Grading
The evaluation and grading of each course is included in “Examinations & Academic Assessment and Grades” of Information on the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Graduation requirements are explained in the Instruction Letter For Sabancı Unıversity Undergraduate for admission of students.
Mode of Study